It’s time to wrap up 2013 and dive head first into a brand new year! From detergents to flat screen TVs, diapers to iPads, EXPO members reviewed and covered it all this year. As we take a look back at all of the amazing videos our members created for us, we thought we’d share a fun few tidbits about the EXPO community to close out 2013.
1. Beth H. was our top video creator of 2013 coming in with a total of 662 videos for EXPO! That’s almost 2 videos a day for the entire year.
2. Our members like to travel! Points were used most often for gift cards to Ritz Carlton hotels in 2013, followed by Amazon and Pottery Barn.
3. Members from the state of California created the most videos in 2013 by FAR (way to go CA)! Florida and Utah rounded out the top 3 for most videos created.
4. Apparently everyone likes to CLEAN! Cleaning and Household supplies were reviewed more than twice as much as the next most popular category, Skin Care. Diapers weren’t too far behind!
5. Last but not least, PAMPERS was our most reviewed brand of 2013!
2013 has been an amazing year for us here at EXPO and we couldn’t have done it without our awesome members. We have a lot of great things planned for 2014, so keep those cameras charged! We can’t wait to see even more videos in the coming year.
Have a happy and healthy New Year!
Across the country people are gearing up for a great holiday week to celebrate our country’s birthday. The 4th of July is famous for spending the day outside with friends and family, eating lots of food, and watching lots of fireworks! The EXPO staff loves to hear how the EXPO community celebrates this summer holiday, so we turned the tables! Here are the top staff responses for how we’re planning on celebrating Independence Day:
1. I’m looking forward to the barbecue with cold beers, kayaking in New York Harbor to see (hopefully) some seals (yes, there are seals all over NY Harbor), and of course the fireworks at the local high school. Everything else is just gravy. -Charlie, VP Sales
2. Going to the fireworks at the beach! -Daphne, CEO
3. For me, I’m looking forward to spending lots of time with my family, and also spending lots of time with my Church; as we’ll be getting ready for our annual 4th of July Picnic/BBQ in Connecticut. Should be lots of fun!! I also look forward to taking my son to see the fireworks show in NYC. -Fred, Account Manager, Client Services
4. After a day of celebrating with friends and family, driving home to see all of the amazing fireworks along the way. It’s amazing! -Teresa, Director of Community
5. Shooting fireworks off the beach of Lake Michigan! -Amy, VP, Sales
6. I’m staying in NYC for the 4th for the first time. While there won’t be any beach or BBQ, I’m excited to sip some drinks on my terrace with friends and find a spot along the river to watch the fireworks! -Nicole, Community
7. Video games!! (yes, I’m a nerd). -Gabriel, System Administrator
8. I am looking forward to taking my 17 month old daughter Brooke to the beach for the first time and enjoying some downtime with my family while supporting the Jersey Shore. – Lori, Sales Director
9. I can’t wait to wakeboarding with old friends in Rhode Island -Emily, Campaign Specialist
10. I will be going to a family 4th of July party at the house of a cofounder of Bloomberg, where they always have some awesome things to look forward to like a band, ice cream truck, and inflatable attractions on a lake!- Dan, Associate Product Manager
11.Being in the sunshine and BBQing on the roof with friends!-Rebecca, Director, Client Services
12. Crowding onto the beaches of Long Island! -Bill, President
13. This 4th of July, I am looking forward to time off to relax with the family and friends. We’ll be headed to a friends’ lake house and will watch the fireworks from the boat! – Gail, VP, Client Services
That’s how the EXPO staff will be celebrating the upcoming Independence Day! We’d love to hear your plans so leave a comment below or tell us in a video upload! Log in now to check out your invitations.
With Memorial Day coming quickly the barbecue, grilling and picnic season will be in fill swing. With all of those invitations coming your way we know one thing crosses your mind, “what dish am I going to bring?”. Over here at EXPO when we’re not trying products or watching videos our absolute favorite thing to do is EAT. Whether it’s trying new dishes or swapping recipes at the lunch table, food is a hot topic at the office. Since everyone always wants an easy dish that can be thrown together and brought to a gathering, we thought we’s share a quick, easy and super healthy recipe to try this season!
This recipe was inspired by the Lemon Asparagus Couscous Salad that we came across on the web and loved. We decided to change it up a bit and replaced the asparagus with cucumbers. We also left out the parsley and instead topped the dish with some crumbled feta cheese. Play around with either version because both taste great! You can also try this with or without the couscous depending on your time and preferences.
- 6 oz whole wheat pearl couscous
- 3/4 lb thin asparagus spears, tough ends trimmed/OR 1/2 cucmber, chopped
- 1 cups grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1/4 cup red onion, minced
- 1-1/2 lemons, juiced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, minced (optional)
- Kosher salt, to taste
- fresh cracked pepper, to taste
Make the Couscous, chop all of the vegetables, toss with squeezed lemon and olive oil and you have the perfect side dish to share with all of you friends and neighbors at your next gathering.
Let us know on Facebook or in the comments below if you decide to try this recipe out and let us know what you think!
Are you ready to meet another member of the EXPO team? Now up, Adam. When he’s not out selling EXPO to some of the great brands you guys get a chance to review products for, he’s known to keep an eye on our freezer and make sure the office always has a supply of chocolate (a very important job!). Read more about Adam below:
Name/Title: Adam Paul / Sales Director
Hometown: East Brunswick, NJ
Fun Fact: After college I lived on a kibbutz in Israel. In case you don’t know what that is, it’s essentially a commune traditionally based around agriculture. Clearly there’s a very straight line from being a Sociology major in the mountains of Colorado, to living on a commune in Israel, to being a Sales Director in the Big Apple, right?
First EXPO Video I uploaded: The Fisher Price Luv U Zoo Jumperoo. Check it out below!
What I do when I’m NOT in the EXPO office: Whatever it is, it’s usually with my family. My wife and I have a one and a half year old boy named Spencer. I’m excited for the warm weather because I take him hiking in one of those backpacks that you can carry a baby in. We love it!
Anything else you want to add! My favorite thing about selling is that I get to learn about different industries and companies all the time. Just this week I was talking to makers of nutritional supplements, vacuums and sewing machines.
Stay tuned as we continue to introduce the great members of the EXPO team!
Have you ever wondered what exactly we love about EXPO video reviews? Well, you’re in luck! We’re going to be asking the EXPO staff what they look for in great videos on our site. First up, Emily, the head of our Tryology program. She gives a great tip to remember next time you’re reviewing a product! Watch now:
Next up on the blog we have
a Community Member Spotlight! We absolutely love hearing how EXPO has helped our members, or how they’ve put all of those hard earned points to use. Natalie contacted us around Christmas to let us know of the special present she was surprising her husband with. We couldn’t believe that she was using all of her EXPO points to buy her family a new couch! Natalie is such an awesome EXPO member that we had to learn more: Tell us a little about you: I grew up in the glorious Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and currently reside near the capital of this awesome state! In addition to taking care of my little darlings, I’m also a professional writer, which I do freelance. Where did you first hear about EXPO and what made you join? I remember looking up ways to legitimately make some money or earn rewards online, and after a lot of trial and error, and getting bored to bits with never-ending surveys that didn’t earn you squat-diddly, I found Expo! What do you enjoy about being part of the EXPO community? I love that the products that we get to review are every day things I use anyway. If I see something is available to review that maybe isn’t the same brand as I normally use, it’s a fun excuse to try something new, and get points for it besides! What are your favorite type of videos to record or favorite type of products to review? I think my favorite types of products to review are the personal and beauty products, like face washes or shampoos. I really don’t get too caught up in how I look on these videos, so I think I’m a little more brutally honest and not afraid to give a demonstration that might not be so flattering, but is kind of funny and entertaining. Can you tell the story more of the couch? When I decided to save my points up for the couch, I wasn’t sure I’d ever make it. I started off with one 500 point video, which, in my mind, equates to just under 5 dollars when you use it on a Visa E-Certificate, and figured well, there’s no other way I’m gonna get this money, since I’m a stay at home mom. I thought it was a great way for me to save my “money” and not be able to access it til I got enough for what I really wanted. In addition to the points, I saved my spare change, or any actual cash I got in the real world, and between the two, was able to buy the couch, which we’d seen in person and fell in love with, from an online retailer at about $500 below retail just before Christmas! My husband was SHOCKED, he had no idea how much I’d accumulated from doing these 2 minute reviews. It was so easy, and took less than half a year! About half of the expense was covered by Expo, and now I’m gonna be cashing in again for a new La-Z-boy! Anything else you would like to share with us? I can’t believe my new living room is coming from something so easy and so fun to do, and how quickly it’s all coming together. It’s amazing that in exchange for the information companies want most about their products, we, the consumers, finally get something in return for our efforts. I wrote an article regarding your site on the KrazyCouponLady.com site, and the comments I received on it were that it sounded too good to be true, but it’s the real deal!
Thank you to Natalie for telling us her great story! If you have a great story to tell about how you’ve used your EXPO points we’d love to hear. Email email@example.com and you might be the next to be featured!
We have another EXPO team member to introduce to you! Today, meet Chang. He is on our Product team here at EXPO, and often provides some comic relief to the office when he dresses up in costume for work (you may have seen that on our Facebook page), and sends memes in all office emails. Read more about him in our interview below:
Name/Title: Chang Yu, Product Manager – Analytics
Hometown: Milford, Massachusetts
Explain your role at EXPO: I work with clients to integrate the Expo videos that our community generates onto Brand Sites, Facebook Apps, Youtube Channels and Mobile Sites in order to provide authentic consumer reviews to the masses. I also work on Expo Analytics, including reports for our clients, and designing tools and dashboards that deliver insights.
Fun Fact: I enjoy being separated from land for brief periods of time: I went skydiving in Las Vegas a few years back and I am a certified scuba diver with my most recent trip being a pitch black 100 foot deep night dive off the coast of Oahu…scary stuff!
First EXPO Video I uploaded: Hasbro Monopoly Cards!
What I do when I’m NOT in the EXPO office: I enjoy watching any Boston sports team beat any non-Boston sports team with the Celtics being my favorite team. Rondo may be out for the year but I still have faith! I also like trying all the different kinds of food trucks around New York City, Mexicue is my favorite at the moment!
Anything else you want to add? I guess I could explain the picture – This will be my 4th year participating in a fundraiser for the MS Society called Climb to the Top. You raise money for the MS Society and get to run up 66 flights of stairs to the top of the Rockefeller Center building. This year, I wore the Mr. McGibblets costume while running up the stairs!
Stay tuned as we introduce some more of the EXPO staff!
While brands are always on the lookout for EXPO community reviews, we’re really excited that Crest decided to feature our member’s authentic opinions in a recent print ad! Five lucky members were quoted from their video reviews of Crest products in an ad that was seen nationwide in 6 different magazines.
Lori. S, Jennifer S., Jennie L., Michele F., and Christine G. are all quoted in an ad that ran in the February issues of Good Housekeeping, The Oprah Magazine, Woman’s Day, Better Homes and Gardens, First for Women and House Beautiful Makeovers.
Brands love to listen to EXPO members’ opinions, and we can’t wait to have even more of them feature you talking about their products. Keep recording and this might be you featured in a magazine!
Day four at South by Southwest (SXSW) has begun and it has been a jam packed three days. Before we wrap tomorrow, I wanted to check in to share some of the things that
we are seeing as emerging trends. Check it out and let us know if you have any questions in the comments below.